Original Question: Wireless Sniffer with AD6LoWPAN? Is it offered free of cost along with the EDK? by NagarjunaG
What does a sniffer do? Is it offered free of cost along with the EDK?
Does it sniff in all frequency channels?
The AD6LoWPAN Evaluation Development Kit packages comes with a wireless sniffer firmware that can be used to make your own sniffer using the existing ADuCRF101 hardware modules. Once prepared, this acts as a wireless packet sniffer that can intercept over the air data within its radio range on a specific configured channel. This data is then decoded into a format that is readable by Wireshark network protocol analyzer.
Please note: for successful packet capture and analysis, the channel information configured on the Sniffer (such as channel number, ISM Band and the PHY MODE) shall match the configuration used in 6LoWPAN devices operating in the network. What this means is - if your sniffer devices is prepared to operate in a specific channel frequency setting, it can only sniff the data in the corresponding channel.
One of the ADuCRF101 evaluation board can be loaded with the Sniffer firmware (supplied along with the EDK package), the details are as given below:
Three steps to prepare your own AD6LoWPAN Packet Sniffer & Analyzer:
1. The sniffer binary is in the PrebuiltBinaries of the EDK package as below:
Configure the device with the procedure given in the APPENDIX-I section of “AD6LoWPAN-All-in-One-GettingStartedGuide_v1 0.pdf”
2. Download and install the Wireshark network protocol analyzer from https://www.wireshark.org/download.html
3. Open “ADWSN-UI-Tool.exe.config” from <install directory>\AD6LoWPAN01\ADWSN-UI-Tool\
In the appSettings, make sure to add the following key
<add key="ProSharkInstallationPath" value="C:\Program Files\Wireshark\wireshark.exe" />
All set to play…
1. Connect the sniffer to PC via USB-SWD/UART-EMUZ interface board as shown in figure below.
2. Open ADWSN-UI-Tool, click on “Find devices”. Once the device is detected, it gets listed under “Pick device”.
3. Select the sniffer from the list and click on “Launch Wireshark “option as shown in below figure.
This will launch the wireshark and starts displaying over the air packets (in the preset channel and band). It is very important to make sure that sniffer device is configured the right way with all the required network parameters.
A sample from wiresharc is attached below.
Question: RE: Wireless Sniffer with AD6LoWPAN? Is it offered free of cost along with the EDK? by ezadminThis question has been closed by the EZ team and is assumed answered.