The EVAL-ADV8003-SMZ ships with the u-boot bootloader to allow reprogramming the OSD binary and application binary using RS232.
If the user accidentally erases the u-boot bootloader, they will need the following in order to restore u-boot:
* JTAG debugger (ADZS-ICE-1000 or similar)
* VisualDSP 5.0 (or later) and JTAG debugger drivers installed
Here are the steps to restore u-boot on the EVAL-ADV8003-SMZ or the EVAL-ADV8003-SMZ-P:
1. Connect the JTAG debugger to the computer and to JT10 on the evaluation board.
2. Connect the evaluation board's 7.5V power supply to JT2 on the evaluation board.
3. Start VisualDSP.
4. Create a new session for BF524 and the debugger you are using5. Connect to the BF524 on the evaluation board using that session
6. Pick Tools->Flash Programmer
7. On the Driver tab, click “Browse..” and navigate to VDSP_BF524_M25P32_flash_programmer.dxe (available below)
8. Click “Load Driver” and wait for success
9. Click the “Programming” Tab
10. Click the “Browse” button and navigate to the u-boot file (available below)
11. Make sure "Erase all" and "Binary" and "Verify while programming" are selected and "Offset:" is set to 0x0.12. Click "Program" button. When finished should should see "Success: Erase all. Success: Program complete."
13. Click "OK" button to exit out of the Device Programmer dialog box.
14. Click "Disconnect from Target" under Session.15. Press the reset or cycle power. u-boot should output via RS232 at 115200, 8, N, 1.
16. You may see a message like "*** Warning - bad CRC, using default environment". You can type "saveenv" at the bfin> prompt to prevent this message from occurring.
17. At this point, you should be able to follow the instructions in the user guide to program the OSD binary and the application binary using u-boot.
Note 1: If you have any questions about the instructions in this FAQ, please create a new thread in the EngineerZone video forum.
Note 2: Some evaluation boards that were shipped prior to production had some resistors populated that might cause problems with erasing and programming via JTAG. If you experience problems, please ensure that RT40, RT41, RT42, RT43, RT45, RT46 are not populated.