AnsweredAssumed Answered

ADALM Pluto, Zynq programmability an expandability

Question asked by rwgast on Aug 17, 2017
Latest reply on Aug 18, 2017 by travisfcollins

I am very excited about the new Pluto SDR, and im scraping some extra money together to buy one in a week or two, but I want to make sure that my expectations aren't to hi.

Im actually working on my own SDR at the moment and I have been trying to decide what I want to do with the IQ data coming out of the hi speed ADCs. I know how to program microcontrollers and embedded systems like an AllWinner, but I have never used an FPGA. The reason I am so excited about the pluto is because it provides a linux system on ARM a hi speed ADC and FPGA logic for DSP. Im looking at the pluto as a platform I am able to write SDR software in c/python using APIs like SoapySDR and GNURadio. Im also wanting to be able to view the FPGA source and be able to add my DSP functions and maybe change the default one programmed on to the FPGA.

So I know you can log in to the board using a serial port, I also see there is a JTAG header, and there are some other break out and I am not sure what they are. So if I purchase a pluto is everything open source? Am I able to program all faucets of the Zynq SOC, if so what sort of tools do I need to work with the Zynq?

Lasty as I said i am not sure what some of the breakout points ar for, are any GPIO? Is there any possibility of adding an LCD to the pluto for true portable use?

Originally I was going to buy a Parallella Znyq dev board which also contains a 16 core DSP, and just connect my own analog front end to it. The pluto is obviously not as flexible but the fact that it is already an SDR with all the code written makes it a better choice for experimentation as long as that code is accessible and changeable using standard hardware and software tools.

Outcomes