roadrunner

EVAL-ADV7842-7511 problem

Discussion created by roadrunner Employee on Apr 21, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 21, 2017 by GuenterL

I am currently working with the Advantiv™ EVAL-ADV7842-7511 Video Evaluation Board - I am evaluating the ADV7842 video chip for SVGA input to HDMI output.
Using the evaluation board and the supplied tools that came with it (AVES3.exe windows application) - I am experiencing some strange behavior:

Here is my setup:
I have the usb cable attached to the evaluation board along with a SVGA input signal and an HDMI monitor attached to the HDMI output connector:

Scenario 1:
1. I apply power to the evaluation board
2. I launch the AVES3 application
3. I configure the AVES3 to match the setup I have (Connection: ADVANTIV USB, Device: ADV7842-VER.5.9c_AVEB.txt)
4. At this point, everything comes up as connected with no issues
5. I run the "5-2g 800x600@60 SVGA RGB in_ 444 24bit H_V_DE DVI" Script
6. The script appeared to run ok (I have a logic analyzer on the I2C bus and all the register commands for both the ADV7511 and ADV7842 ran ok)
Result: No Video output

Scenario 2:
1. I power cycle the evaluation board
2. I launch tera-term and configure it to match the USB port. When Teraterm comes up, I get data streaming from the evaluation kit. I don't type ANYTHING through tera-term to the unit.
3. I close tera-term
4. I launch the AVES3 application
5. I configure the AVES3 to match the setup I have (Connection: ADVANTIV USB, Device: ADV7842-VER.5.9c_AVEB.txt)
6. At this point, everything comes up as connected with no issues
7. I run the "5-2g 800x600@60 SVGA RGB in_ 444 24bit H_V_DE DVI" Script
8. The script appeared to run ok (I have a logic analyzer on the I2C bus and all the register commands for both the ADV7511 and ADV7842 ran ok)
Result: Successful Video output!

My questions:

Q1. In scenario 1, why do I not get any video output as the end result? Was there additional setup/configuration needed?
Q2. When running tera-term upon power up of the evaluation board, how does this affect the setup when I launch the AVES3 application and run the script?
Q3. When I applied power to the unit in scenario 2 and launched tera-term, I monitored the I2C traffic and noticed there are a bunch of addresses that are being written to that do not exist on the evaluation board (addresses 0x68, 0x80, etc) - is this just gibberish being sent from the main processor or are these commands being sent out intentionally?

Any help you can give me on this would be greatly appreciated.

Outcomes