AnsweredAssumed Answered

Re-compiling AD9129 with ML605 Reference Design

Question asked by swissel on Apr 20, 2017
Latest reply on Apr 26, 2017 by rejeesh

My student and I have been trying to re-compile the reference design that generates a 300 MHz tone via a DDS on the ML605 that drives the AD9129. 

AD9129 Evaluation Board, DAC-FMC Interposer & Xilinx ML-605 Reference Design [Analog Devices Wiki] 

We're both relative novices (see e.g. Donald's previous posts from a year ago AD9129 Evaluation Board & Xilinx ML-605 Reference Design Question ) to the Xilinx EDK and SDK suites and using the SPI, but we have had some successes. We are  able to load the bitstream available on the wiki page above and generate a 300 MHz tone.

Re-compiling the bitstream, however, seems to be hit-or-miss. At times we've been able to recompile the bitstream, load it, and see a 300 MHz tone, and other times, we are unable to. Right now we are unable to generate the tone. We follow the same procedure as in the attached notes, and we never have any problems compiling or loading the bitstream, but there is no tone produced by the ML605+AD9129.

We usually hit Reset and the DCO enable buttons several times on the SPI program to get the tone to appear with the provided bitstream. That means that we try to get a DLL lock before seeing the tone. When we do that with the our own compiled versions, we usually get just noise coming out. 

Another thing that is unclear to us is how to interface the software that writes the text to the UART terminal. It would be nice, for instance, to control the frequency of the tone via software. Can you provide instructions for how to edit, compile and load the software onto the micro blaze microprocessor? I'm talking about the cf_ad9129_ebz.c file included in the ML605 SW/Bit files cf_ad9129_ebz_sw_14_4_2013_03_12.tar.gz tarball.

Please. Any help you can give would be appreciated. Donald's going to graduate soon and we'd both really like to get this to work reliably and be able to edit the reference design.

Outcomes