AnsweredAssumed Answered

Choosing the right frequency dividers for pulsatile inputs at 80 and 160 MHz

Question asked by liorg on Apr 4, 2017
Latest reply on May 4, 2017 by MRichardson

Greetings,

I have two pulsatile signals whose frequency I wish to divide:

A. 8x frequency division of a pulsatile 80 MHz input. As exemplified in the following oscilloscope screenshots, its waveform is somewhat irregular, with a primary ~3 dBm peak followed by a secondary peak that can be up to -4.5 dBm high, in its average power (all measured to 50 ohm load):

80 MHz pulsatile input signal - primary peak

80 MHz pulse - secondary peak

B. 16x frequency division of a pulsatile 160 MHz input. As exemplified in the following oscilloscope screenshot, its waveform is clean but rather weak (-19.8 dBm in its average power to 50 ohm load, if I've calculated correctly):

160 MHz pulsatile input signal

In both cases, the optimal output would be a ~10 MHz sinusoidal, or clipped-sinusoidal wave, at ~3.3 Vpp to a DC-blocked 50 ohm load. Other periodic ~10 MHz output signals may also be acceptable, if they satisfy VOH of at-least 2 Volts and VOL of at-most 0.4 Volts, to a DC-blocked 50 ohm load.

I've browsed through the wide selection of available prescalers, but seemingly at these frequencies they all expect a strong square-wave input, and output a weak square wave. Can you please suggest which evaluation board of yours, or a cascade of evaluation boards, is most likely to be able to pick up these signals correctly and produce the required output?

Many thanks,

Lior

Outcomes