AnsweredAssumed Answered

21489 EZBRD Booting from SPI Device

Question asked by ahonkan on Sep 27, 2011
Latest reply on Oct 11, 2011 by DeepV

Hi

I'm trying to figure out the magic combination that will let me boot off the on-board SPI device.

I've set the project options to generate a SPI Master loader file, ASCII format, 32-bit width and using a default kernel.

I used the flash loader utility and verified that what I'm programming is what's on the flash device.

The Boot switch is set to 1 (SPI Master Boot).

I disconnected the debugger and reset the board and nothing happens.

I set the host width to 8 bits to see if that made any difference and nothing.  I went ahead and tried all combinations and still nothing.  Is there an internal how-to guide that shows me how to load code on the EZBRD flash device?

I went through all combinations because the available references were contradictory.  Example- pg 6-2 of VDSP 5.0 Loader and Utilities Manual, the third bullet made no sense to me:

There are three cases for the SPI master boot mode: SPI master
     (no address), SPI PROM (16-bit address), and SPI flash (24-bit
     address). The difference between the these modes is the way the
     slave device sends the first word of the .ldr file. In SPI PROM and
     SPI flash boot modes, the .ldr file is stored in a passive memory
     device and fetched by the processor. In SPI master, the .ldr file is
     transmitted to the processor by a host processor configured as an
     SPI slave.

Why would the 21489 care how it's getting data if it's the master? Table 6-10 on Pg 6-17 of the Loader manual also adds to the confusion as the -bspiflash mode doesn't have the 0xA5 initial word.  Yet the 214xx HW guide rev0.3 pg 23-14 states that if the 0xA5 isn't present, the transfer is aborted.

Please help!!

Thanks

Outcomes