AnsweredAssumed Answered

MDS with DDC?

Question asked by Reson8r on Sep 19, 2011
Latest reply on Oct 5, 2011 by Reson8r

I'm not sure if I'm in the right section here -- please move this post if not.

Can someone tell me what the minimum detectable signal (MDS) should  be using a digital down converter (DDC)?  Assume I have a 14-bit A/D  with 74 dB SNR which feeds the DDC.  Say the A/D operates at 65 MHz (fs)  and then the DDC down-converts a 10 kHz BW (bw) anywhere in the first  Nyquist zone to baseband.  I think this means a processing gain of 10  log (fs / bw), for 10 log (65 MHz / 10 kHz) = 38 dB extra reduction in  the A/D noise floor, but I'm not quite sure what this means.  Does it  mean I would be able to resolve a signal just above 74 + 38 = 112 dB  below the full-scale of my A/D (well below the LSB)?  Would my MDS be  limited by the A/D noise floor, or the A/D floor lowered by the DDC  processing gain?

There is dither too.  I know that the spurious free dynamic range (SFDR) of the A/D  can be increased by adding dither.  Is this necessary to take advantage  of the 38 dB of processing gain?  Do the spurs of a NON-dithered A/D  remain after the DDC processing?  I think they would, but maybe that means that I can't resolve anything lower than the A/D noise floor.

Many thanks for any help!

Outcomes