AnsweredAssumed Answered

Calculate gyro total error?

Question asked by Reson8r on Feb 16, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 17, 2017 by NevadaMark

I think I understand that the minimum of the Allen variance is the "in-run bias stability", measured with the benign conditions of ideal averaging, stable temperature, and no inertial motion.  For the ADIS-16490, for example, that's 1.8 deg/hr, given as a typical spec and the average on the Allen chart.

First question: does that mean that 67% (one sigma) of ADIS-16490 devices will show a heading deviation (integrated deg/s output) of up to 1.8 deg after an hour, if they're sitting still?  This would have to include bias effect too, then, not just noise.

Next question: how do I determine the real-world error over temperature which I might expect?  It seems like sensitivity, nonlinearity, and bias effects like repeatability and tempco errors would have to be added to the in-run bias stability figure.

And finally: what should I do to get the very best performance?  Operate in a constant-temp oven?  Do system calibration for temp?  For sensitivity (i.e. over the full range of input rotation speeds)?  What are the repeatable error factors I can calibrate out?

Thanks very much for any help,

Gerrit

Outcomes