What steps do I take to build an SD card image that allows an AD reference design to be used on a different platform?
In my case I wish to use the FMCOMMS6 card on the ZC702 platform.
On the software side, you only need to create a new devicetree for ZC702. Start from the ZC706 one (linux/zynq-zc706-adv7511-fmcomms6.dts at 2016_R1 · analogdevicesinc/linux · GitHub) - include zynq-zc702.dtsi and zynq-zc702-adv7511.dtsi instead of zynq-zc706.dtsi and zynq-zc706-adv7511.dtsi; make sure the addresses of the cores and the interrupts from the HDL will match the ones specified in the devicetree.
The rest of the tools (IIO-Scope for example) will work without changing anything else.
These are the instructions regarding how to write on a SD card the ADI image: Zynq & Altera SoC Quick Start Guide [Analog Devices Wiki]
Unfortunately, for FMCOMMS6 we offered a reference design only for ZC706.
I should also mention that the last release that includes the FMCOMMS6 reference design is 2016_r1 - it will not be included in the newer releases.
OK, so I can see how to build the SD card and boot the ZC702, but is it straightforward to bring the FMCOMMS6 project across?
I would obviously need to rebuild the FMCOMMS6 HDL for the ZC702 FPGA target, but is it as simple as that?
How would I access the sw tools for driving the FMCOMMS6? (clearly IIO scope for the ZC702 wont drive the FMCOMMS6).
Would the devicetree need to be modified?
If it is straightforward to port to the ZC702, please elaborate, or please advise if this is not a simple task.
BTW, what is the reason for not continuing support of the FMCOMMS6?
Is there just little demand for it, or is there a technical deficiency? (it would be good to know this, as I am about to base a new project on the FMCOMMS6)
It shouldn't be hard to port the project on ZC702, but I will let someone from the FPGA team to give you more details about this.
Regarding the FMCOMMS6's life cycle: I know the fact but I don't know the reason.
Here are some instructions to port the FMCOMMS6 design to ZC702 (hdl only):
- first create a new directory in projects/fmcomms6 folder and call it zc702
- copy over all the files, from zc706 into zc702 directory, and simply search and replace zc706 to zc702
- now, different board is different pinouts, so you need to update the system_constr.xdc file, using the fmcomms6 schematic and ZC702 IO board file (just update the PACKAGE_PIN numbers)
- you need to update the system_top.v file, maybe the easiest way is to use the base system_top.v and add the adc and spi interfaces to it. (you can find these ports and connections, if you do a diff between the zc706 base top and fmcomms6 zc706 top file)
- you can get different errors during this process, if you can not solve those, or you just don't know what they mean, let me know.
So that should give me access to the FMCOMMS6 from the ZC702, but what about tools such as IIO scope which are able to configure the card and analyse the data?
I thought I might need some card-specific configuration for the FMCOMMS6, but I guess it is all built in to the tools.
I’ll let you know if I have any issues.
Thanks for your help,
Retrieving data ...