AnsweredAssumed Answered

Questions regarding the ADXL355

Question asked by NeonGod on Feb 2, 2017
Latest reply on Feb 6, 2017 by NevadaMark

Hello everyone,

I'm looking into measuring the vibrations of a large telescope structure. My idea was to use an ADXL355 evaluation board, connect it to a microcontroller (Arduino) and have the data written to SD card. However I want to clarify/confirm a few things before I continue:

1.Resolution: I'm expecting to measure a peak acceleration in the order of 10mg with a frequency in the order of 1Hz. If i understood it correctly, the resolution is limited by noise which in turn is related to the bandwidth, so I probably want to limit my bandwidth in order to achieve higher sensitivity (from my calculation, limiting the bandwidth to 100Hz, with the given noise density of the ADXL355 results in a total noise of 0.3mg).

My question is: Is the bandwidth limit determined by an analogous low pass filter, or by some sort of digital filtering/setting? Also, how can this limit be modified?

2.Interfacing: How "easy" is it to interface the ADXL355 with a microcontroller (eg. via SPI) for someone that is new to the topic?

Thank you in advance for your help

Outcomes