AnsweredAssumed Answered

AD620 to SiLab uC ADC

Question asked by leilash on Sep 14, 2011
Latest reply on Sep 14, 2011 by Matt.Duff

Hello

as you can guess from the title , my problem is very simple

i want to connect a sensor with voltage output around (0 - 500uV) to adc of C8051F124 from SiLab, my problems are :

1. when i connect sensor output to IN+ and IN- to GND , giving AD620 +5V and -5V and using a near 500Ohm resistor i get gain of 1000 which i shouldn't according to datasheet instead i should get around 100 (in this stage there is only the op-amp and the sensor checking voltages using a voltmeter , circuit is very simple i just have used one resistor for gain, +,-5V for powering op-amp , GND as refrence and output of sensor is connected to IN+ and IN- is connected to GND ).

2. when i connect the output of AD620 to ADC of the microcontroller directly i get a current of near 10 ma  going through the circuit (which worries me a little because i think this current is going through microcontroller) and the output voltage of AD620 goes from 0-500mV to 1-1.5V which means there is one volt offset (the most weird part is that when i use a volt meter there is no voltage drift and the current is normal too but when i connect the ADC then current goes up to 10ma and the voltage gets 1V offset)

Now i want to know that do i need any interfacing circuit ? i mean i wasn't expecting to see that 10ma current because when i connect ADC of uC to a series of resistors for reading some voltages i do not get that much of current (i get around 200ua) but when i connect my ADC to AD620 i get this amount of current with voltage drift.

And my another question is that am i connecting the whole sensor thing and ADC right ?

Some more info : the GND of sensor , AD620 and uC are connected to each other, +5V and -5V voltages for the AD620 Vs+ & Vs- are highly stable usign voltage regulators. the capacitance of uC in input ports is around 10pf and if you need anymore information write here and i will give them to you.

Thanks for helping me

Outcomes