AnsweredAssumed Answered

Adding new channel attribute to FMCOMMS5

Question asked by ttyler777 on Dec 12, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 5, 2017 by larsc

Hello,

I'm working with the FMCOMMS5 board connected to a ZC706.  I'm currently trying to get a feel for what will be involved if I wanted to customize the FPGA by inserting my own IP into the pre-existing ADL HDL code.  I don't want to use the HDL Coder from MathWorks at this time, although I definitely see the benefit of such a tool.

I've found a couple of resources so far (Mainly this How Do I insert custom IP into the AD-FMCOMMS2-EBZ Linux reference design), but one of my last major hold ups is how to integrate with Libiio.  I would like to add a new function to the channel that is toggleable/custom from the user.  As far as I can see, the best way to do this would be to add a new channel attribute (or channel) into the linux /sys/bus/iio/devices/iio:deviceX directory.  This device tree is (if I'm understanding things correctly) auto generated from the FPGA code when I export it to the SDK.  So my question is, how do I go about implementing an FPGA change that will be accessible by Libiio?  

For a basic example, let's say for some reason I wanted to offset the data coming out of channel Y by X amount.  And I wanted to do that by writing X to a new channel attribute called "custom_offset_amount".  How would I make sure there is an attribute in Libiio that I could write too?

Thanks in advance,

Tyler Jackson

Outcomes