AnsweredAssumed Answered

AD2S1210: velocity with encoder emulation?

Question asked by Jorgito on Nov 30, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 5, 2017 by jcolao

Dear all,

I am planning to use the AD2S1210 for an application, and I would like to have at the same time an encoder emulation of the position (given already directly by the chip with the A,B and NM pins), and also, an encoder emulation of the velocity.

I thought that this would be possible by setting the chip in Normal mode with Velocity output (A0 = 0, A1=1), and then having the velocity in the parallel port. Then, I could maybe use the circuit described in here: http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/5033918389419AN-265.pdf , section 5: "Simulating incremental encoder..." in order to emulate the encoder output for velocity. However, this would only be possible if the velocity output is continuous, this is, it increases bit to bit, without "jumps".

My question is, would it be possible to do this with this chip? My first assumption is that this is not possible since the output port is only updated after a falling edge in the SAMPLE pin, am i correct?

In case it is not possible, do you have any possible solution to my problem above?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Regards.

Outcomes