AnsweredAssumed Answered

R-wave acquistion issue of AD8232 for wrist application

Question asked by payne on Oct 26, 2016

Dear ADI experts or peer friends,

We’ve bought a AD8232 evaluation board from the Digikey and are verifying its ECG acquisition performance for the expected wrist wearing application under three dry platinum-iridium alloy electrodes with about 3mm diameter made by driving condition. The configuration of the AD8232 evaluation board is set according to the “AD8232-EVALZ User Guide” document as below:

1. The Fast Restore, DC lead off mode are enabled.
  2. The Input Bias is set to P4 jumper by RLD.

The test result was listed as below:

1. The ECG signal of all my colleagues could be acquired within 10 seconds when they touch the LA, RA electrode by the left, right forefinger respectively even the RL electrode is left alone.
  2. The ECG signal of most of my colleagues could be acquired within 10 seconds once they touch the RA electrode by the right forefinger with the LA, RL electrode (apart about 15mm distance) worn on their left arm, but the ECG signal of other colleagues with thinner, fatter, hairy arm is hardly be acquired.

I am confused with the above result now. The amazing problem is that I can’t select any components on the EVB board to be further optimized. Is it possible for AD8232 to detect the peak R-wave near hands with the mentioned platinum-iridium alloy electrodes and the wrist wearing mode within a short time like 10 seconds for all people no matter that he or she is thin, fat or hairy?

Much thanks

Payne

Outcomes