AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help debugging basic SS-for-SHARC bringup on SC589

Question asked by BrianE Employee on Sep 1, 2016
Latest reply on Sep 15, 2016 by Madhuri

I have the following setup:

SC589 eval board BOM rev 1.5, 589 rev 1-0.1, switches and jumpers as per the guide.
     with ICE 1000 rev 1.1
   USB2Z rev 1.3
     being used from SigmaStudio 3.12 build 4,
   CCES 2.3.0,
   SS for Sharc 3.7.0.
My development system is Windows 7 with the latest patches.

I can run the SC589 examples that come with CCES as well as booted in to Linux and played around a bit there. So the EVM and CCES are hopefully not a factor in my problem.

Now I'm trying to use SigmaStudio (which I've used with Sigma DSPs in the past).

When I get to step 13 in section 6.1 (Press Link-Compile-Download) Sigma Studio seems happy.  But the CCES output window, including load lines from before running SS, in case those are the wrong dxe(?), ends looking like:

Loading application: "C:\Analog Devices\CrossCore Embedded Studio 2.3.0\SHARC\ldr\ezkitSC589_preload_core0_v01"
Load complete.
Loading application: "C:\Analog Devices\SoftwareModules\SigmaStudioForSHARC-SH-Rel3.7.0\Target\Demo\ADSP-SC58x\ADSP-SC589\SS_App_Core0\Release\SS_App_Core0"
Load complete.
Loading application: "C:\Analog Devices\SoftwareModules\SigmaStudioForSHARC-SH-Rel3.7.0\Target\Demo\ADSP-SC58x\ADSP-SC589\SS_App_Core1\Release\SS_App_Core1.dxe"
Load complete.
Loading application: "C:\Analog Devices\SoftwareModules\SigmaStudioForSHARC-SH-Rel3.7.0\Target\Demo\ADSP-SC58x\ADSP-SC589\SS_App_Core2\Release\SS_App_Core2.dxe"
Load complete.
assertion eRet == ADI_SS_FW_SUCCESS failed

Core 1 is suspended here: <___lib_prog_term>() at 0x1c09dc    

My next step would be to make a debug build and start putting in breakpoints, etc., to try and narrow down what might be wrong. OTOH, why wouldn't the most basic example just run out of the box?

I do not trust my SigmaStudio setup, one of my pilot errors was leaving the USBi plugged in to my SigmaDSP board.  SigmaStudio did not complain at all about loading a SC589 application to an ADAU1452, it just silently failed. Not too tough for me to believe I've made some other obvious setup error that doesn't get checked/reported.

Thanks for any suggestions on how to make this work.

Outcomes