AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need Instructions on reproducing the digital part of ADF4159 evaluation board

Question asked by wings36 on Aug 31, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 12, 2017 by dyoung1

Hello Sir, 

I am designing a wideband frequency synthesizer based on the ADF4159 evaluation board design files. I changed the VCO chip and the loop filter configurations while all other parts are exactly the same as the evaluation board. But now I get confused about how to configure the digital part, i.e. MCU, EEPROM. Could you provide an instruction on this please?

Based on your previous instructions, I did 2 things:

1. First I used "EEPROM Programmer 2014" to program the EEPROM chip as you suggested. 

I installed the drivers:

Then in the EEPROM Programmer "Main Functionality", I scan for No EEPROM devices, then programed the VID and PID as you suggested. Then in the device manager, ADF4xxx is shown to be correctly installed:

2. I installed the development kit software from the following webpage:

CY3684 EZ-USB FX2LP Development Kit | Cypress Semiconductors 

Then as the "EZ-USB development user guide" suggested, I launched the "USB Control Center" to flash the firmware ".hex" file into the MCU. I got the firmware file from your post here:

https://ez.analog.com/thread/13743#52311 

Then I got the following screenshot:

Then I launched the ADF4159 control software and connection is successful. But when I changed those register values, VCO output frequency is never changed. What I got on the spectrum analyzer are always some signals at 1GHz, 2GHz, 3GHz, etc. 

Could you help me check my procedures please? I would like to rule out the potential errors from the digital part, then I can investigate the analog part of my design.

Did I do something wrong or in a wrong order? Do I need to flash a "bootloader" into the MCU before flashing the "adf4xxx_usb_fw_1_0.hex" firmware into it? How could I confirm if the PLL chip registers are correctly configured?

Many thanks,

Songjie

Outcomes