AnsweredAssumed Answered

ADF5355 Phase Resync Feature

Question asked by bobs@lgs on Aug 4, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 15, 2016 by bobs@lgs

I was recently made aware of the ADF5355 synthesizer and had similar questions to the one posted by Luca a few months back.

Our design would like to ensure, if possible, that 2 or more synthesizers at the same frequency are phase aligned (can be to any phase so long as they are the same and repeatable across retunes and power cycles).  Your response was helpful but just to be sure I wanted to ask specific questions using an example:

ADF5355 part A is programmed to output 2300MHz (VCO output divider is used I believe).

ADF5355 part B is programmed identically to output 2300MHz.

Due to using sequential software, the units are programmed one after the other.

Your procedure for waiting until both are locked is followed.

1. What therefore is the phase of A with respect to B?  Different? Same? The documentation says the phase of the part will be "repeatable" so long as the same frequency is programmed.  The implication is that for multiple devices at the same frequency the phase for both should be the same, but I don't think that's true based on the previous response to Luca.
  2. Is the phase repeatable within the same device across power cycles?
  3. If the phases are different, would the phase difference between the 2 devices always be the same if the procedure above was followed?
  4. Is there a way to ensure ADF5355 synchronization without a calibration signal and algorithm?

Thanks in advance!

Bob

Outcomes