AnsweredAssumed Answered

ADL5385 Output Level and LO Drive

Question asked by languer on Jul 30, 2011
Latest reply on Aug 15, 2011 by THA

Hi, we're using the ADL5385 to produce a modulated waveform (1.2MHz BW) from 200MHz to 400MHz. To do this we drive the LO port with 400MHz to 800MHz from a synthesizer (ADF4112 + VCO). I have a couple of questions based on observations made so far.

1) The datasheet implies an output power at the modulator of around +5dBm. We are driving each of the the IQ inputs with 700mVpp biased at 500mV, our power is around -5dBm. Is this what you would expect? Can we increase the IQ drive to 1Vpp, how would that degrade performance?

2) When driving the LO input single-ended (using the eval board) from our synthesizer, the performance is pretty poor (the constellation wobbles and shows excessive magnitude imbalance (and phase to a lesser extent) yielding an EVM greater than 20%. If we add a low-pass filter to remove VCO harmonics the performance gets pretty good (EVM < 2%). I've read a bit on the issue and if I understand correctly what we are seeing maybe due to even-order harmonics of the VCO upsetting the divider timing inside the modulator. Two options are then offered to counter this: low-pass filter the VCO output to reduce the even-order harmonics (is 20dB sufficient? 30dB?), or use a balun (or transformer) to drive the LO differentially (do you have a recommendation?). Are the second-order VCO harmonics (or for that matter, any VCO harmonics) the root cause of what we're observing; and if so, what do you recommend to rectify this?

Thanks.

Outcomes