AnsweredAssumed Answered

ADV212 - Too Many Choices for this Newbie to Grasp

Question asked by w.c.b on Jul 28, 2011
Latest reply on Jul 29, 2011 by w.c.b

Hi.  I'm in a bit of a quandary here, since I'm not sure how to  proceed in using an ADV212 J2K compressor for my particular  implementation.  We're trying to build a system that can select from one  of six "old school" NTSC (analog) video inputs, digitize that video,  and then pass it to a 212 for compression.  While our eventual  implementation will stream J2K data to an FPGA for formatting and  eventual transmission to storage, we're trying to work up a proof of  concept configuration first that simply takes the J2K data stream into a  high speed reconfigurable digital I/O card, which then stuffs the succession of compressed images into a PC memory via the PCI bus interface  on the card.  Then code in the PC will operate on the images to  decompress and display them on a monitor.  My point of confusion is  that this all needs to happen real-time with no loss of image data no  matter what compression parameters are chosen, and I'd like to keep the  interface between the 212 and that I/O card as simple and  straightforward as possible.  My first thought was that JDATA would be  the easiest implementation, and I can just use a clock from the 212  along with valid data handshaking to fetch and synchronously clock out  the J2K data when it is available.  However, I've seen documentation  somewhere here that says that JDATA is a relatively slow way to transfer  data out of the 212.  "Relative" to what?  More importantly, is it so  slow as to prevent what I'm trying to do here - a real-time pipeline of  that video?  Can you guys offer any advice about how to approach this  problem before I proceed too far based only on my own best guess?   Thanks!

Outcomes