AnsweredAssumed Answered

AD8318 oscillation

Question asked by willplatts on Feb 18, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 23, 2016 by willplatts

Hi,

I have encountered a problem with the AD8318 logarithmic amplifier. We are using the AD8318 in simple measurement mode (i.e. VSET tied to VOUT). We are enabling/disabling the device via the ENABLE pin connected to a microcontroller (so driving the pin from 0V to 3.3V). In some devices, when the device is enabled, the output of the AD8318 goes into oscillation (see attached screenshot from oscilloscope).

I have done some investigation, and found the following:

• The instability only seems to happen when we use a discharge resistor on the VOUT pin. I am using this to speed up the falling edge, and also to overcome a problem where high power signals cause a strange waveform on the output of the log amp.
  • If the discharge resistor is 160R, it happens almost every time the enable pin is taken high (only on some devices though)
  • If the discharge resistor value is increased, to say 500R, 750R, 1k, the problem happens less often but still sometimes.
  • Touching a scope probe to the output of the log amp stops the oscillation (attached capture was taken with a high impedance/low capacitance FET probe)
  • The oscillation is well beyond the normal output range of the log amp: as you can see, it is swinging all the way to 0V, and up to around 4.5V. Normally the output is only from around 2V to 0.5V
  • Adding extra decoupling capacitors makes no difference.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this problem, or have seen anything like it?

Thanks in advance

Will Platts

EA Technology

Attachments

Outcomes