AnsweredAssumed Answered

Will ADIS16480 work in Vacuum condition?

Question asked by djung@kau.ac.kr on Feb 5, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 5, 2016 by NevadaMark

Hello,

I'm considering to use the ADIS16480 MEMS IMU sensor in my small cubesat project.

I found that ADIS16480 is a 10-axis IMU, which means that it has 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis magnetometer, and 1 pressure sensor. This performance inertial measurement of ADIS16480 is satisfactory and should be enough for my project specification.

However, I have a serious concern about the pressure sensor inside the ADIS16480.

My guess is that, in order to measure the pressure, ADIS16480 may consist of a small cavity which is separated by a diaphram between the cavity and the exterior. Probably, the sensing elements measure the displacement of the diaphram to convert the pressure different into electrical signal.

My major concern is that when ADIS16480 is exposed in a vacuum condition, the diaphram is likely to break out due to big pressure difference between the cavity and the outside the zero pressure. Is this the case?

My questions are,

1) ADIS16480 will work in vacuum condition? I don't care about the pressure measurement capability. Only 9-axis IMU sensors are enough for my application.

2) Can the pressure sensing element (probably diaphram) tolerate the vacuum condition? If not, there would be a case that the diaphram might be broken, resulting in invalid pressure measurement (Pressure measurement fails) However, the remaining 9-axis IMU can still work to yield correct measurement?

3) Does anybody have used the ADIS16480 (or similar product) in the vacuum condition?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best,

Thomas

Outcomes