"All I did was add some of my own code - honest!"
I started with the Booting(C) example. I copied it a working directory, renamed it, added some of my own code, resolved the differences in structure, and compiled. Everything worked fine until the final linker step, where CoreA, CoreB, Shared memory, etc are brought together by the linker.
The reference code linked successfully.
My code generated the error below, which refers to existing/unmodified libary code. My dummy.c is still empty. The .sm file is not created.
[Error li1250] ".\MyProj.ldf":347 Common memory can map nothing but archives.
The following object files were mapped into common memory '.\Debug/L2_and_L3_common_memory.sm':
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\VisualDSP 5.0\Blackfin\lib\bf561_rev_0.5\crtn561y.doj
C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\VisualDSP 5.0\Blackfin\lib\cplbtab561a.doj
Linker finished with 1 error
cc3089: fatal error: Link failed