AnsweredAssumed Answered

ADV7842 HDCP authentification issue with Playstation 3 and certain graphic cards

Question asked by DirkB on Jan 15, 2016
Latest reply on Jan 26, 2016 by DirkB

We have an issue with HDCP authentification and Playstation 3 as well as with certain PC graphic cards. Other HDCP sources such as Blue Ray Players are doing alright. This is with setting up the ADV7842 with the below so called OLD SCHEME.

ow we have found a scheme that allows us to get PS3 to work (called NEW SCHEME), but this makes other HDCP sources to not work. Obviously, we want to have a scheme that supports all sources at the same time and more so, we need to understand what is going on, given that we might  have to compromize.

Is there a better way than outlined below to time the HDCP authentifaction process?

OLD SCHEME

=========

After power up the Initialization routine is called – this issues a hardware reset to the ADV7842 followed by a delay of 250msec. HDCP will be enabled by default.

An Input Format Measurement task routines every 100msec which measures the format of the incoming video on the active AD7842 port and only alters HDCP if  a change has been requested by the user via the PV7 Input Config menu otherwise HDCP settings are left as default. This PV7 Input Config menu can disable HDCP compliance of our unit, such that non protected content will also be send non encrypted through the link.

NEW SCHEME

==========

After power up the Initialization routine is called – this issues a hardware reset to the ADV7842 followed by a delay of 250msec. The HDCP interface is then disabled by setting bits 2 & 3 at ADV I2C register (ADDR_HDMI, 0x73). The HPD lines are toggled ( 1 sec) via bits 4 & 5 of ADV I2C address (ADDR_IO, 0x20) to allow the source to detect the change in status (this line has been scoped and does behave as expected).

An Input Format Measurement task routines every 100msec which measures the format of the incoming video on the active AD7842 port and manages HDCP as follows – a source cable connection is detected via bits 2 &3 of ADV I2C register (ADDR_IO, 0x6F). If a change in cable state is detected then the following occurs –

Cable Connected detected state: Wait 1 sec and then enable HDCP setting bit 2 (DVI) or bit 3 (HDMI3) via ADV I2C register (ADDR_HDMI, 0x73).

Cable Disconnected detected state: Disable HDCP by clearing bit 2 (DVI) or bit 3 (HDMI3) via ADV I2C register (ADDR_HDMI, 0x73).

With the Old Scheme the PS3 does NOT display an image at powering up our unit featuring the ADV7842 if connected BUT can be persuaded to display an image when in this state by using the HDCP PV7 menu option (turning HDCP Off then On).

Outcomes