AnsweredAssumed Answered

DDS chip design support, 14-bit output DAC.

Question asked by David@ on Nov 25, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 3, 2015 by JLKeip

Hello.

I am trying to get my head around AD's DDS chips which contain a 14-bit output DAC in order to get a understanding for which of them is most suitable for my application. I have a rather serious case of ADD(Attention Deficit Disorder) which makes this kind of investigation really hard and at times impossible but I really have no choice, it has to be done but any insight into this would help me a lot.

I need to synthesize fixed frequency's of 50Hz, 100Hz, 1kHz, 10kHz, 50kHz, 100kHz, 250kHz, 500kHz, 750kHz & 1MHz, and I also need a frequency sweep from the first to the last frequency. There will be a microcontroller(µC) that will program and monitor the DDS while also controlling a ADC, the DDS will signal the µC which will tell the ADC to sample in order to sample the peaks of the resulting signal(DDS output will be amplified and feed to a Device Under Test) and it would be great if amplitude could be adjusted in software which I know a few of the DDS chips can.

I have for some reason looked more at AD9953 than any other but it this stage it would be a guess to go with that, I have figured that a SYNC output from the DDS shall be used to sync the signal chain. The µC will use DMAs to handle the results from the ADC which will be processed once they have arrived on a PC.

So I would like to ask anyone familiar with AD's DDS chips, do you have any better suggestion then AD9953, it can be whichever DDS with a 14-bit output DAC.

Regards,

David

Outcomes