AnsweredAssumed Answered

ADIS16210 Delayed Read Question

Question asked by jcorra on Nov 5, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 by NevadaMark

What happens if I send the SPI command to read from one of the registers of the ADIS16210 (the Y Inclination Angle for example) and then delay before the next SPI command when the ADIS16210 actually responds with the data?  Will the angle I read back during the second SPI command be the angle at the time the read command was first received, or the angle at the time that the data is actually sent out?  In other words, is the current angle retrieved and placed in a transmit buffer as soon as the read command is received or just before the data is actually transmitted back?

I am wondering if I can essentially pre-load my next command when I read the last piece of data I requested.

Example:

1. Send Read from XINCL_OUT command and ignore received data
  2. Send Read from YINCL_OUT command and capture X Inclination Angle data
  3. Send Read from ZINCL_OUT command and capture Y Inclination Angle data
  4. Send Read from XINCL_OUT command and capture Z Inclination Angle data
  5. wait a period of time, maybe 10 seconds (in which time we assume that the ADIS16210 rotated an additional 20 degrees in the X plane)
  6. Send Read from YINCL_OUT command and capture X Inclination Angle data

At step 6, will I get:

• "old" inclination angle from when it was requested in step 4 (ten seconds and twenty degrees ago)
  • "new" inclination angle which includes the additional 20 degrees that the ADIS16210 has been rotated since step 4

Thanks,

Josh

Outcomes