AnsweredAssumed Answered

Color NTSC to VESA VSIS with one chip?

Question asked by Dr.Lightning on Jun 7, 2011
Latest reply on Jun 9, 2011 by GuenterL

I need to design a circuit that uses primarily a single chip to receive a COLOR NTSC signal and output a VESA VSIS compatible signal for driving an OLED display (eMagin SVGA+ Rev3 XL).  Can anyone suggest a chip I can use?

Note that I've been encountering two major difficulties:

1) The OLED itself can input NTSC, but only displays monochrome.  I've looked for little driver boards, but I can only find ones that support monochrome composite, not color.  I think those boards are actually not doing the composite input themselves at all, but simply forwarding it to the OLED display.

2) My custom system includes a TI DaVinci processor capable of BT.656 digital output.  However, my foggy understanding is that the VESA VSIS standard requires progressive scan video, not interlaced.  All the work I've done to date with the DaVinci is SD interlaced.  I'm taking interlaced input.  I'm not sure where in this picture I would change the interlaced to progressive, on the path from input to output.  Furthermore, I have at least one configuration need where I take an aux composite input and must send it directly to the OLED, in color, and do so without consuming my limited DaVinci I/O (2in, 2out).  Therefore, this configuration knocks out the DaVinci altogether and brings me back to a color NTSC input to VESA VSIS output need.  As part of my configuration switching, I'm considering connecting BT.656 input streams to BT.656 output streams.  This is fine for my NTSC inputs and AUX NTSC output.  However, trying to get from my NTSC inputs to OLED output in this way, I have interlaced BT.656 coming in but need progressive BT.656 going out.  Thus, I'm in a pickle because this won't work.  I would need my BT.656-to-VESAVSISOLED chip to include in itself the interlaced-to-progressive conversion.  (My head hurts.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,

Helmut

Outcomes