AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMCOMMS1 - How do I send/receive data without any SW?

Question asked by vhdl-radio on Oct 22, 2015
Latest reply on Oct 23, 2015 by CsomI

Hi,

First, I apologise for my silly question. I'm new to the FMCOMMS1 board.

Recently, I have been trying to get my HDL to send data directly to the FMCOMMS, but I notice from the Vivado IPI design that it uses the Zynq processor to send / receive user data (at least it seems to me).

Now my question is whether I can easily send data to the FMCOMMS directly from my HDL? I had a look at the axi_ad9122.v and axi_ad9643.v files provided, and also read ADI Reference Designs HDL User Guide [Analog Devices Wiki], specifically on the sections DAC and ADC interfaces. It seems to me that it's possible for me to do what I want, but I need to confirm.

Also, when studying the Vivado block design, it seems to me the design is a bit too complicated for me to want to do something simple like sending data from my HDL. I have a HDL design that does some data processing, and I would like to transmit the processed data over radio via FMCOMMS1. Another FMCOMMS1 would receive this data and send it to the receiving HDL which in turn will process the received data and convert it to the original data.

So, it makes sense in my case that I would want to transmit / receive directly between HDL and FMCOMMS1, without having to go through a processor. How do I go about doing this the fastest and easiest way?

~vhdl-radio

Outcomes