AnsweredAssumed Answered

ADV7842 and  ADV7511 comparison and selection

Question asked by APZ Employee on Aug 24, 2015
Latest reply on Aug 25, 2015 by GuenterL

Objective:

I would like to program a chip, with video in and video out (initially HDMI in and HDMI out, but ideally broader to support multiple video inputs/outputs), where the chip can perform color transformations.

- Should be able to support "any-to-any" RGB conversion at the individual pixel level.

- Should be fast, for example be able to handle pixel-by-pixel conversion within an acceptable time for the largest formats (e.g., 3D video)

- Should be the least expensive hardware that's able to accomplish that task

Parts:

- I have been looking at ADV7511 (preferred because of cost) and ADV7842 (looks like it could also work). Are there other parts that I should be considering?

Questions:

- I see that the ADV7511 and the ADV7842 have evaluation boards that would be helpful to get started as I'm building a prototype. How can I get started hooking up these boards and programming it?

- What programming language/platforms are supported? E.g., VisualBasic, C++, Python? Is there particular software that I need to be able to program the chip? How is this actually done?

- Can I use the eval board with a Macintosh? If no, can I use with VM Ware on Mac or do I need a PC platform?

- The ADV7511 is packaged with a 64-lead low profile quad flat pack, whereas the ADV7842 is packaged with a ball grid array. How does this inform or limit choices as I move into designing our eventual hardware? Imagine ideally our eventual hardware should be small, sleek, and simple, with just HDMI in and HDMI out.

- I see that the "P" models are available for users that don't have an HDCP license. That should be OK for now but eventually we will want to get the license and migrate over to HDCP-compatible version. Is that a seamless change later on?

Outcomes