AnsweredAssumed Answered

Blackfin to Blackfin+ assembly porting document?

Question asked by pinaz on Jun 24, 2015
Latest reply on Jul 1, 2015 by pinaz

It is very positive to see that additional documentation is starting to be put online for the BF70x.

One additional document that I would really like to see, though, is a migration app note for porting assembly code from Blackfin to Blackfin+.

We have an investment in hand-optimized assembly for the existing Blackfin instruction set, and I suspect we are not the only ones in that situation.

The Blackfin and Blackfin+ Programming Reference PDFs have quite different ways of listing the instruction sets.  I'm not saying one document is better or worse than the other; they are just rather different.  It makes trying to compare the two artificially difficult.

It appears that the CMPLXMAC syntax of instruction for Blackfin+ is new (with the existing MAC instructions falling into the TRADMAC, presumably "traditional", syntax).

However, what other changes are there?  Are there any legacy Blackfin instructions with limitations/restrictions for Blackfin+?

I think it would help Analog's customers if there were a clear A vs B comparison between Blackfin and Blackfin+ at an instruction level to facilitate review and porting of existing assembly code.

Thanks.

Outcomes