My application requires very accurate and with the smallest delay (fast response time) in measuring Pitch (and later Yaw).
So After checking past forums and some experimenting, I started with the EKF_CNFG register.
I disabled the magnetometer (writing 1 to bit 1), tried and saw that the return to position is fast but with mistakes in Pitch.
When I enabled the adaptive EKF, the response was much slower but the position more accurate (although it still had several mishaps).
I also tried:
- To lower the value of ACC_DISTB_THR to 0x10 and saw some small improvement in delay time.
- To get the gyro and accelrometer Bias fixed using the NULL_CNFG register, and by writing to the GLOB_CMD register (1 to bit 0), but when I observed the BIAS (Gyro or ACC, High or Low) I saw no change. I expected that the bias would be written to these registers (although rather small). I would appreciate if you could help with the instructions for BIAS correction (I'm implementing the 16488 instructions on the 16480)
- Is it possible to change the FIR filters and the Averaging/Decimation and get better results for Pitch, Yaw (with EKF?)
- Do you have any suggestions for improving the accuracy, delay time? do you have any kind of graphs showing the delays?
- I saw the EKF tuning application note, but it looks rather complicated and long procedure for optimization. Is there a simpler/shorter way to improve the covariances of the EKF for my application.