AnsweredAssumed Answered

Use of ADSP 21479 & ADSP 21489 for oil and gas application

Question asked by stargate on Mar 18, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 18, 2011 by AlClark

Hi, I am consultant working for oil and gas industry. We are currently developing a prototype scanning system for inspecting the condition of the pipeline. We are quite keen to employ the ADSP 21479 or ADSP 21489, depending on power consumption, for this application.

I have to emphasize that our team have no previous experience with any DSP from ADI. We have used the TI F2812 in our previous project. However, due to space limitation and processing requirements, we have to look for something else and your product, in terms of its low pin counts, proccessing power and calculation, fulfill our basic requirements.
In our prototype, the scanner has to travel at a speed of 10m/s. At every 1mm, upon receiving a pulse from the onboard encoder, the onboard system has to take 10 readings and perform averaging and save it to external memory. This gives rise to an 0.1msecond window for the processor to acquire the data, process the data and stream it to the onboard flash or memory. Our enquires are:
1. Which SHARC DSP, ADSP 21479 or ADSP 21489, will better for this job?
2. The prototype has to travel a distance of 150Km at 10m/s and it will take approximately 5 hours to complete the whole    journey. Depending on pipe diameter, a total of 60 sensors well be mounted. So ideally, it will be better for the DSP to consume as little power as possible. Just wondering, can we use ADSP 21489 for battery powered application?
3. In term of learning curve, how long it will take for us to design a dsp system, which will wait for a pulse from encoder, communicate with the DAQ, process the data and stream the processed data to onboard SDCARD? I have to be blunt, in term of learning material, we found it is not as organised and intuitive as TI, correct me if i am wrong on this regard.
Thank you.

Outcomes