AnsweredAssumed Answered

phase increment ad9122 dds setup

Question asked by omkarpradhan on May 16, 2015
Latest reply on May 18, 2015 by DragosB

Hello,

I'm attempting to simulate the axi_ad9122 IP core in a testbench in vivado. I think I have it working pretty well and can get on with modifying the core, but a couple of questions.

my hardware setup is zedboard + adfmcomms1

1) In the no-os drivers > dds_setup > dds_set_frequency, i'm not quite understanding the calculation of the phase increment. I understand that for a dds the

phase_increment = Frequency_out * 2^(n) / Fclk. (eq 0)

Now the Fclk seems to be calculated as clk_frequency * clk_ratio * 100000000 / 65536. (eq1)

The clk_frequency and clk_ratio are read from the core registers, and the clk_ratio I understand. But my testbench (at a DCI of ~ 490 MHz, i.e. dac_div_clk of ~122 MHz ) seems to return a clk_frequency count of 4, and thats where I don't understand how this value can feed into eq1 to give the correct clk frequency. Please note that I am feeding into the HDL the exact same values as would've been configured in the software via dds_setup.

1) What is the factor 100000000 for in eq 1? Is it supposed to be multiples of 100 MHz?

2) What is the factor 65536 in eq1 ? Is this some sort of a 16 bit counter in the clock monitor module inside up_dac_common.v?

In conclusion I'd imagine this clk_frequency should come out to ~490 MHz so that the phase increment can be calculated as per eq 0.

Thanks for any comments on this.

Outcomes