twest820

SigmaStudio 3.3 Installation Issues

Discussion created by twest820 on Feb 26, 2011
Latest reply on Mar 3, 2011 by BrettG
Branched from an earlier discussion

After running the installer as admin and selecting "Install for everyone" I get the following error when attempting to start SigmaStudio as a non-administrative user from either the desktop or start menu shortcut:

Error 1001: Exception occurred while initializing the installation:

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\WINDOWS\system32\Files\Analog' or one of its dependencies.  The system cannot find the file specified.

The same occurs with the shortcut for the help.  Best workaround appears to be to invoke the shortcuts as an admin but this only works if they've never been used a non-admin---once they've been clicked as non-admin shift clicking and selecting run as invokes the installer as non-admin, resulting in the error above.  Unlike 3.1, running SStudio.exe directly results in a crash because C:\Program Files\Analog Devices\Sigma Studio 3.3 is not ACLed for non-admin access.  And fixing the ACLs leads to follow on problems like an instance of SigmaStudio that you can't really do much with since the device list is not populated.

Net result is 3.3 has to be run from an admin logon rather than a non-admin logon.  In my case this regression from 3.1 isn't a big deal but it is a mildly annoying hassle.  If 3.4 could support non-admin use again I would appreciate the convenience.

Outcomes