AnsweredAssumed Answered

FMCOMMS3-EBZ VC707 design migrate no-OS MicroBlaze to BRAM from DDR3

Question asked by AnhDat on Mar 12, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 12, 2015 by rejeesh

Is it feasible to move the VC707 AD-FMCOMMS3-EBZ Microblaze configuration from using the DDR3 SODIMM 1 GB RAM space to using on FPGA Block RAM BRAM?

Has anyone done this to your knowledge?  If so - any current instructions / examples to make this change?

How many Block Ram's would I expect to take up, how large of a BRAM space must I allocate?

I figure it's feasible, the VC707 Virtex7 XC7VX485T appears to have max 37,080Kb of BRAM and the compiled no-OS .elf appears to give:

text         data    bss          dec         hex                         filename

192100   3804   1050184 1246088 130388 sw.elf

If I understand correctly it may take 1 of 4 MBytes of BRAM, 1/4th of the FPGA total to run the no-OS on BRAM?

What/how should/could I cut down if anything to get the embedded code size requirements smaller?  My application is fairly simple where I won't use any TDD application, just using 1 of the 2 channels for constant Rx and Tx channels, no HDMI stuff.  Is there a recommended method to eliminate things from the embedded and example HDL design? 

Within the HDL realm, I tried removing HDMI blocks in the bd design through the tcl files, and it's been a pain where things won't build or validate without ports connected, I wonder if there's a way in tcl to just terminate ports, etc..

THANKS!!

Outcomes