AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to use RTS/CTS hardware flow control in UART Char Echo example project?

Question asked by jlia on Mar 11, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 18, 2015 by CommanderDave

Hi,

I'm brand new to CrossCore and Blackfin707 development.

I have managed to see keypress characters echoed in a Putty window using the virtual com port created with USB connected to the dev board USB TO UART connector.  However, this project uses no flow control.

I have added calls to adi_uart_EnableTxHWFlowCntl() and adi_uart_EnableRxHWFlowCntl() prior to the echo loop, and changed Putty settings to use RTS/CTS flow control, however these changes cause the code to never return from the first call to adi_uart_Read() in the echo loop.

I've checked the return values of the flow control enable functions and both return ADI_UART_SUCCESS.  I've also changed the putty settings back to using no flow control while waiting on the call to adi_uart_Read() is out to lunch -- doing so results in an echo of all keys pressed while flow control was enabled in Putty, and future key presses also echo just as expected.

Am I missing some other configuration/setup function calls to make this echo project work with uart RTS/CTS flow control enabled in Putty?

Thanks in advance,

-jlia

P.S. It should be noted that I've used Putty to communicate over COM using hw RTS/CTS flow control with other devices, so if I cannot solve my problem via sample project code, I believe the issue may exist in the dev board or uart drivers.

Outcomes