AnsweredAssumed Answered

[AD7634] Voltage level and reference for PDREF/PDBUF pins at high state

Question asked by gabrielbrunheira on Mar 4, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 6, 2015 by gabrielbrunheira

Hi,

In an A/D board under development, I'm using separate ground planes for analog (AGND) and digital (DGND = OGND) references, which can be connected together using a solder jumper or back-to-back schottky diodes underneath the A/D converter, as suggested in Tutorial MT-031 ('Grounding Data Converters and Solving the Mystery of "AGND" and "DGND"').

My rails are:

AVDD = +5V-AN (obtained using a LDO referenced to AGND)

DVDD = +5V-DIG (obtained using a different LDO referenced to DGND)

OVDD = +3.3V-DIG (obtained using a LDO referenced to DGND = OGND)

I'm using an external reference, so the internal reference must be powered down, i.e., PDREF = PDBUF = High. Table 6 in datasheet states that PDREF e PDBUF pins are digital inputs, so using Table 2, I would assume they should be connect to +3.3V-DIG (máx: OVDD+0.3 = +3.6V).

However, Figure 27 shows a circuit example, where the internal reference is used, which is accomplished connecting these pins to the AGND. Now I'm confused if I should connect them to +3.3V-DIG or +5V-AN. It would be EXTREMELY MORE convenient to me if I could connect them to +5V-AN, because of their locations, as showed in the screenshot below (Pin 47 = PDREF; Pin 48 = PDBUF). Otherwise, routing a +3.3V-DIG trace to these pins seems to be messy, because it would be over the AGND plane.

What is the correct configuration?

Thanks in advance!

Gabriel

HRADC PDREF PDBUF Pins.PNG

Attachments

Outcomes