AnsweredAssumed Answered

ADV7513 vsync, hsync, DE and the FLIR Tau2 sensor

Question asked by DanLaks on Jan 22, 2015
Latest reply on Mar 3, 2015 by GuenterL

The project I'm working on ultimately requires I capture the video output from a FLIR Tau2 sensor and convert it to HDMI. This if my first serious project in digital video, so I'm on a very steep learning curve. I'm using the ADV7513 as a digitial-video-to-HDMI converter.

The Tau2 has several output options, including BT.656. Unfortunately, FLIR is discontinuing BT.656 with the Tau2.2. So of the remaining output formats, I am looking at what they refer to as the "CMOS Protocol". The electrical interface description document (IDD) for the Tau2 is here:

http://www.flir.com/uploadedFiles/CVS_Americas/Cores_and_Components_NEW/Resources/FLIR-Tau-Electrical-IDD.pdf

The Tau's CMOS protocol has up to 16-bits of parallel video data, a clock pin, a line-valid pin, and a frame-valid pin (see Table 2 in the IDD). According to Figures 3 and 4 in the IDD, the line-valid pin goes high while video data is being clocked out for each line and goes low at the end of the line. The frame data goes high while the entire frame is clocked out and goes low at the end of the frame.

I understand the ADV7513 needs a hsync, vsync, and DE signal. I'm having a really difficult time researching exactly what those signals need to look like. I see lots of references to CEA-861, but I don't have access to that document at this time. Is it possible to use the line-valid and frame-valid signals from the Tau2 as hsync and vsync, respectively? If so, how can I handle the DE signal? Does Analog Devices have a document that goes into more detail about what the sync lines and DE line needs to look like?

Thank you.

Outcomes