AnsweredAssumed Answered

AD-FMCOMMS4-EBZ with ZC702 usage questions

Question asked by devito on Jan 22, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 23, 2015 by rgetz

In order to use the AD-FMCOMMS4-EBZ (evaluation board featuring the AD9364 RF transceiver chip) working with the ZC702 SOC board running Linux I follow the setup step on the Wiki as detailed below.

The goal of this endeavor is base functionality, transmit and receive RF waveforms. Eventually, we want to be able to modulate our own IQ data at 2025 MHz and incorporate a Costas loop as shown below

Figure 1 Block diagram of Costas loop for our SBand RX System

From the Quick Start Guide went to the Zync  quick start guide for preparing the SD card. Since the SD card that came with the AD-FMCOMMS4-EBZ board arrived preformatted so we could skip “Preparing the image” section. The specific file/board we wanted “zynq-zc702-adv7511-ad9364-fmcomms4” was not on the SD-Card. The instructions say to “just pick something with the same base board, boot it, and then run the update scripts, and then copy the right files to the BOOT partition”. So first the files from “zynq-zc702-adv7511” (BOOT.BIN and devicetree.dtb ) and the image file from “common” were copied to the base directory. The SD card was inserted in the ZC702 board and the hardware set up (including verifying switches are position correctly)
Next step after booting is to update. Entered root@linaro-ubuntu-desktop:~# sudo adi_update_tools.sh in the terminal. Tried to reboot the system but it got hung up and wouldn’t boot. Took SD card to computer and saw that the files had updated date/time stamps and decided something must have gone awry and deleted the files and took files from a directory called “zynq-zc702-adv7511-ad9364” which seemed like a new option.  Booted the board. This time the IIO-Scope had a board associated with it.

It came up with ad9361 (even though the file directory had read ad9364) and the tabs read DMM, Debug and FMComms2. This seems alright, it’s working, but I was under the impression from the wiki the tabs would read “DMM, Debug and FMComms2/3/4 and FMComms2/3/4/5 Advanced” as shown in Figure 2

Figure 2 Wiki example IIO-Scope Screen Shot

I read that sometimes the update needs to be run twice “(the first time updates the update script, and the second time updates everything else)” so I tried running the update again and was met with errors.

I also can’t see a way to edit the transmitted data stream or to read out the received IQ bits.

Questions:

1. Is there a way for me successfully run the updates that will lead me to having an IIO-Scope that looks like the one above? If so, what is the best approach?
  2. I would also like to be pointed to a guide on where to begin editing the provided design, such as the IQ data files.
  3. Is there a way to record the data file received to check it against what is sent?

Thanks.

Attachments

Outcomes