AnsweredAssumed Answered

Frame Buffer with AD9984A and ADV7513

Question asked by mform on Jan 5, 2015
Latest reply on Jan 6, 2015 by GuenterL

The design I am working on has to take a CGA type (640 X 240) video input and output it to a monitor using HDMI at VGA type (640 X 480) resolution. Previously, I was using an FPGA to capture the video from a AD9985A and line double it and send it to a ADV75125 DAC for output. Unfortunately, for this new HDMI based design, the video source did not have a HSYNC frequency, that when doubled (at 2X the original HSYNC), did not meet a CEA861 standard and so the monitor did not display anything using the ADV7513 HDMI transmitter.

I am now planning on using a RAM frame buffer so that the output can be "spot on" to a standard frequency and displayed properly. There will be at least two buffers. One gets filled with input while the other is being output with the correct HYNC and VSYNC timings. When the input buffer is ready, the buffers switch roles. Some frames will be dropped, but the video is "almost" static so that should not be an issue. A FPGA will take care of all of the timing and buffer fill and switchover issues. While we currently use a AD9985A ADC in our product, I am thinking about changing to a AD9984A ADC which is recommended for new designs, unlike the AD9985A, which is not.

If anyone has had experience using a frame buffer solution similar to what I propose, I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks.

Mike

Outcomes