AnsweredAssumed Answered

AC701/FCOMMS3 axi_ad9361 ip mods for custom no-os implementation

Question asked by labianco on Nov 17, 2014
Latest reply on Nov 6, 2015 by CsomI

All,

Its gonna take a minute to explain my thoughts and situation before I can propose my question:

I am really trying to use the no-os microblaze core to setup the AD9361 and use VHDL to handle the baseband processor tx/rx data stuff.  I need to do this because the no-os drivers buffer the receive data and my BBP (implemented in VHDL) needs new data every clock cycle, in other words the receiver must look like an ADC to the BBP).

I first tried to remove the rx and tx signals (clk, data, frame) from the axi_ad9361 ip core in the ip integrator, but the no-os code errors out. So I tried to clean up the software to account for the missing functionality, but I got to a point where it seemed like the software was trying to use the received signal to help tune the RF front end of the AD9361 (maybe in the ad9361_dig_tune() function in ad9361.c, please correct me on this)?  This discovery/road block led me to think...maybe I can disconnect only the tx outputs from the axi_ad9361 and leave the rx inputs connected.  So, I tried this while implementing a very simple receiver in the VHDL to process the receive data. My VHDL receiver obviously needed to send the rx_clk signals into an IBUFDS so it could use the clock...vivado didn't like this because there is apparently one instantiated in the axi_ad9361 ip core...

So my general question is...what is the path of least resistance to separate the SPI configuration of the AD9361 and the baseband processor functions? And I understand that I can transfer data between the microblaze and VHDL via memory, but my already developed BBP cannot handle data buffering...it wants the RF front end to look like an ADC and not a FIFO.

If the no-os code does need the rx data to tune the front end as mentioned previously (again, please correct me on this), is there a way that I can modify the axi_ad9361 core to convert the differential inputs into single ended and send it the already buffered clock (it would already be buffered in the VHDL)?

I am very open to suggestions as my only criteria is that I have to get the data to my VHDL BBP on a clock cycle basis and the BBP must never have to wait for any data buffering (it must always be available).

Thank you so much in advance,

Nick

Outcomes