AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help on picking the right DDS for my application

Question asked by PhilRhe on Sep 22, 2014
Latest reply on Sep 23, 2014 by PhilRhe

I found the AD9106, seems like a good candidate for my project. I require 3 outputs, very good synchronization, low jitter, high bandwidth (100MHz).  To do so i believe they must be running on the same clock...

I need a signal generator for my vision system. I must trigger a camera very precisely with one signal. The two other signals will be fed to different OP amps and filters to be conditioned appropriately. These two signals will drive an illumination board and a high speed  electronic shutter. The tree signals will require high frequency resolution and their phase, frequency, will have to be controlled in real time. Ill with using square wave signals, although sine waves might be an option

I am not a DSP expert, which means i will probably prefer something as user friendly as possible.

I'm trying to figure out what needs to be my setup? what do i need to drive, control and program my DDS chip. Is this device appropriate for my application?

Previous work has reported using three  DDS chips (AD9952) in parallel, driven by a micro controller and a thermally compensated crystal oscillator. They used the 3 DDS in parallel driven by the same clock as there was no available multichannel DDS chips available back then with the required specs apparently. Tthe DDS was driven with an SPI bus. This was done back in 05.

I am planning to use an all-in-one FPGA board to perform these tasks if such a device exists today, with the appropriate clock, controller and transceiver bandwidths, obviously. As you can figure, I'm also trying to simplify the 3 parallel DDS setup by using an all in one DDS board instead.

Please let me know what you guys think,

Ill be glad to provide more info.

Thank you

Phil

Outcomes