AnsweredAssumed Answered

HPUSB-ICE driver jam after VDSP++ upgrade to 5.0

Question asked by vpo on Sep 2, 2010
Latest reply on Sep 3, 2010 by DavidS

Hi everyone,

I have been using HPUSB-ICE successfully with VisualDSP++ v4.0 before but, after installing VDSP++ 5.0, plugging the same HPUSB-ICE made Windows to ask for drivers again. The driver installation failed with text

"The name is already in use as either a service name or a service display name."

A web search found a Microsoft support case where installation of network card drivers gave the same error because of an improperly uninstalled older version. Based on that I uninstalled VDSP++ v4.0 but it didn't help. The network card support case included instructions for fixing the problem by removing pertinent things from the registry.

I started going down the registry path... I uninstalled VDSP++ v5.0 and removed entries pertaining to that but Windows wouldn't let me delete certain registry keys under USB category that had the same VID-PID combination as the HPUSB-ICE, even though I had booted my computer in diagnostic mode with the USB device detached.

Can anyone help me out?   Any ideas how to get those registry keys deleted or some other way out?   My Windows version is XP with service pack 2.

Thanks for any hints...

Outcomes