AnsweredAssumed Answered

AD9525 reference clock configuration

Question asked by Zartagal on Jun 27, 2014
Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 by Kyle.Slightom

Hi,

I'm currently working in the clocking design of a precision communication device with tight jitter requirements. For this reason, I decided to use the AD9525 chip, in order to get a total jitter around 100 fs.

Actually, I'm defining the reference clocks interfaces, and I have some questions. My idea is to use a local oscillator with very low phase noise in the input of the reference REFA. My target frequency is 2.112 GHz and I found a configuration with a 96 Mhz reference clock (ABLNO-96.000MHZ).

This is a LVCMOS clock supplied with 3.3V (REFA using only the possitive pin and ac grounding the negative pin). To increase the possibilities in the references, I decided to add another possibility of reference with an LVDS interface (REFB), an an external reference (REFC) through a connector.

I attach an scheme of the initial circuit for the reference system.

REFA: Used 50 Ohm external termination and ac-couplung. The input comes from the LVCMOS local oscillator.

QUESTION: Do I need this 50 Ohm external resistor for this input and 50 Ohm traces in this interface? Is it well defined?

REFB: LVDS input. 100 Ohm differential external resistor with ac-coupled capacitors.

QUESTION: Is this interface correct?

REFC: LVCMOS input. It comoes from a connector. In the datasheet says that it's not self biased and need external bias, but in the evaluation board datasheet appears with a dc-blockin capacitor and a 50 Ohm resistor.

QUESTION: What should I do, include the capacitor or remove it? Do I need here this 50 Ohm external matching impedance? Is this circuit correct?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Outcomes