AnsweredAssumed Answered

ADIS16265 GYRO_SCALE and calibration

Question asked by tbr@tt on Jan 24, 2014
Latest reply on Jan 24, 2014 by NevadaMark

Hi

In my application the gyro is sometimes tilted  relative to the motion it should detect. E.g. if trying to measure a the yaw of an airplane (on the ground), the gyro is sometimes canted so it "looking" down through the nose. I don't know the exact angle but is is approx 20-30 deg relative to the horizontal plane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Rollpitchyawplain.png

I therefore i manually set the scale setting in order to ensure that when the plane has taken an 360 deg turn, the gyro readout is also 360 deg. I know that is solution creates more noise in the output, but i have no way to mechanically align the gyro.

My problem is that the datasheet recommends that i run the "Factory calibration restore" command, before collecting GYRO_OUT data . The problem is that the calibration is now being performed without the scale that needs to be set when using the device.

My question is: should i restore the scale after calibration is complete, or is it better to do it right after "Factory calibration restore" command and before collecting GYRO_OUT data. I.e. Should the scale setting be restored as a step 3.5, or 8.5 when following the flow at page 18 in the datasheet?

Best regards

Tajs

Outcomes