ENGINEER ZONE Support:
Is there a way to get AD_FMCOMMS1-EBZ ML605 Kernel already built?
I don't have a linux box available yet to build the kernel.
I need this to get started and can't delay.
Open the .config or defconfig file, that was used to build the kernel, and search for the string simpleImage.cf_xcomm_ml605. In this case, whoever specified the output file name choose not to add the .elf suffix to the generate kernel elf file.
Please find attached.
1) Downloaded zip pointed above
2) Built HDL reference design using the Wiki "AD-FMCOMMS1-EBZ user guide" subsection "Reference HDL design"
3) Tried to build ace file using subsection "Software/Linux/ML605(Microblaze)
4) It failed and gave an error message below:
"Error Excecutable simpleImage.cf_xcomm_ml605 does not contain start address"
What would the problem be and what is the correction?
You were using this command line ?:
xmd -tcl genace.tcl -hw system.bit -elf simpleImage.cf_xcomm_ml605 -ace linux.ace
What version of ISE tools are you using?
Yes that was the command line. Xilinx 14.7 is the version.
Actually it was from the Analog wiki on ML605 which is a little different:
xmd -tcl genace.tcl -hw system.bit -elf simpleImage.cf_xcomm_ml605 -ace linux.ace -board ml605 -target mdm
I will try your version and let you know if that makes a difference.
1) I tried your command line and it started working but specified the wrong processor.
2) Difference was the ML605 board was powered up.
3) Reenter command line according the wiki and created an ace file
4) Tried to boot but it failed to boot
a) AD-FMCOMMS1-EBZ card doesn't boot and LCD doesn't display?
5) Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.
A while ago I noticed that the generated ace images with ISE 14.4 won't boot.
ACE Led Flashes - but then nothing happens. (Reported a Xilinx WebCase)
However if you configure the FPGA via xmd and things work.
I spend some time identifying which part of the update broke things - and I found that microblaze Version 8.40.b is causing the issue.
I downgraded the core and things start to boot again.
--- cf_xcomm/system.mhs (revision 1749)
+++ cf_xcomm/system.mhs (working copy)
@@ -136,7 +136,7 @@
PARAMETER INSTANCE = microblaze_0
- PARAMETER HW_VER = 8.40.b
+ PARAMETER HW_VER = 8.30.a
PARAMETER C_INTERCONNECT = 2
PARAMETER C_USE_BARREL = 1
PARAMETER C_USE_FPU = 0
So if you’re using 14.4 you need to use MB 8.30a.
With 14.7 this workaround doesn’t work anymore – and I expect that you have to use the latest MB version can you try?
1) Please describe step to loading bit file and linux via tools. It's been along time since I've used EDK
2) What do you mean by latest MB version. Where do you get this? Do you mean steps Linux ML605 by using GIT?
1) follow the steps here: http://wiki.analog.com/resources/eval/user-guides/ad-fmcomms1-ebz/quickstart/microblaze_kc705#testing
2) When you open your design in 14.7 for example - it will ask you to update the cores - simply allow that.
You can also look into the IP catalog and manually update the microblaze HW_VER.
How do you make an elf file for ML605 Kernel. This is not instructions for:
make -j5 simpleImage.cf_xcomm_ml605
arch/microblaze/boot/simpleImage.cf_xcomm_ml605 is ready
But the reference for downloading bit and kernel hear talk about elf file. I looked for it in my build but can't find elf file.
it's the same file
simpleImage.cf_xcomm_ml605 = simpleImage.elf
Retrieving data ...