AnsweredAssumed Answered

Check build tools into repository (problem specifiying processor-compiler.xml path)

Question asked by ecg on Jun 18, 2010
Latest reply on Jun 22, 2010 by CraigG

Like many companies, we have a requirement that we be able to reproduce bit-for-bit executables from our source code repository.  Typically, we ensure that this is possible by checking in the build tools along with the code, and pointing the makefiles at the versioned copy of the build tools.

We just had a high-profile problem occur because VDSP 5.0 Update 6 and Update 7 produced different executables from the same code, so the time has come for us to use a version-controlled copy of the Blackfin toolchain.

I've made substantial progress with this, but I'm currently hung up on an assembler problem.  It seems that, regardless of any command-line switches, it looks for the <processorname>-compiler.xml in the \System\ArchDef directory under whatever path is specified in the HKLM/Software/Analog Devices/VisualDSP++ 5.0/Install Path key.  Here is an example error that is generated if that key is not present:

[Error ea1184] "command-line":1 The assembler was unable to locate the following .xml file:
        '\System\ArchDef\ADSP-BF532-compiler.xml'.
        Or the file might be corrupted. Check the -proc option on the command-line and the contents of the .xml file.

Anyway, I figured that I'm not the only person to do this, so there may be a simpler way.  Any ideas?

If not, any ideas on how to resolve the issue with the assembler?

Thanks,

Eric

Outcomes