AnsweredAssumed Answered

AD9984 with monochrome cameras

Question asked by HankZ on Oct 17, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 21, 2013 by GuenterL

I have some questions below regarding using AD9984A. All these questions are based on that one piece of AD9984A for conversion from one industrial camera’s analog video output signal. The basic specifications of this camera are listed below.

1. White/Black, monochrome;

2. Analog video output, (Composite format that is: image video signal plus embedded SYNC VS and HS);

3. 640x480 pixels, VGA;

4. Progressive scan working mode;

5. Max. frame rate=90, that means Max. pixel clock ~=36Mhz;

My Questions are as below.

Q1: The correct connection is just connecting the camera's video output to one of two Y/GREENin, leaving Pr/REDin and Pb/BLUEin to GND via a capacitor respectively?

Q2: In this application, it's not necessary to connect the camera's video output to SOGIN?

Q3: Since the video is black/white monochrome, output format can be any of R/G/B, or YCbCr4:4:4:4 or YCbCr4:2:2 with no difference?

Q4: If answer for Q3 is Yes, the 10-bit digital data are always outputting at Y/GREENout pins, Cb/Cr/REDout and Cb/BLUEout can be unconnected?

Q5: Since the camera always works in progressive mode, (i.e. at 90 frame rate, the pixel clock frequency is about 36MHz), the digital data also outputs at same pixel clock (36MHz)? That means, the output data (any of R/G/B or YCbCr4:4:4:4 or YCbCr4:2:2) do not have Progressive/Interlaced information embedded?

Q6: Any output data of R/G/B or YCbCr4:4:4:4 or YCbCr4:2:2 does not have SYNC (HS and VS) embedded, that means we should use HSOUT and VSOUT/A0 for the receiver like FPGA?

Q7: The cameras has additional VS and HS, which one is better, using HS/VS that are embedded the analog video, or using these additional HS/VS by connecting them to HSYNC/VSYNC inputs?

Thank you very much.

Outcomes