AnsweredAssumed Answered

AD5930 Intermittent Frequency Glitch

Question asked by ngamell on Oct 7, 2013
Latest reply on Oct 11, 2013 by ngamell

Hello,

Recently, I have been using your AD5930 Evaluation Board for a prototype, and I have noticed an odd glitch during frequency sweeping.  I am continually bursting two different frequencies using the "Saw-Sweep mode" in the "external increment, external burst control" option.  (The same glitch was appearing in the "external increment, auto-burst control" option as well.)

What I have found is that intermittently, the sweep of the two frequencies (7.33 MHz and 8.33 MHz) jumps to a third, unknown frequency state.  This state then changes the order at which the bursting occurs.  Attached to this email is an oscilloscope screen-shot of the mysterious frequency.

My question, then, is have you seen this issue before?  Are there ways I can correct it via programming or set up?

I can send any additional information you might need to replicate this glitch or help solve this problem. as well.  Below are the SPI commands sent [in order] at power up to the AD5930 chip.  (Note, the SPI frequency is 656 kHz, sweeping from 7.33 MHz to 8.33 MHz, one 1 MHz step.)

Cntrl_Register = 0x0F73 (24-bit, single register write; DAC enable; Sine wave mode; MSBout enable; burst mode w/ DC mid-point; Burst external; increment external; saw-sweep mode; syncsel disable; syncout disable; reserved bits)

Fstart_LSB = 0xC793 (7.33 MHz)

Fstart_MSB = 0xD258

DeltaF_LSB = 0x2EB8 (1 MHz step-size, increasing)

DeltaF_MSB = 0x3051

Num_INCR = 0x1001 (1 step)

** From this point, we let the values sit for 1 millisecond, then begin toggling the CTRL line at a frequency of 71.43 kHz (7 microseconds high, 7 microseconds low).  The waveform between cursors "A" and "B" does not look like the other frequencies we were expecting. 

Any help or direction would be appreciated.  Thank you,

Nick

Attachments

Outcomes