AnsweredAssumed Answered

Providing students with an existing CCES workspace and preferences in zero steps

Question asked by MikeSmithCanada on Aug 12, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2013 by TomTan

On web-site http://www.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/Smith/2013webs/CCES_Common_13/ I have provided my students with information on a long sequence of steps on how to set up editor preferences, editor templates and source code templates. I reckon it will take them about 1 / 2 hour of a 3 hour lab to follow if they have not used an eclipse environment before (most of them)

Given I have a class of 70 with a steep learning curve and limited lab time, I would rather just say --open CCES- ame (I like that expression  open Sesame --  :-)    )  and then as the expression says -- Bob's your Uncle.

I tried to find a way to install CCES as an administrator in such a way that my students (without administrator rights) will find custom editor preferences, editor templates, source templates. related to my course and custom software already available to them. 

Is there a jar I can replace in the CCES Eclipse directory as administrator -- in the same way as you explained I could modify the LDF generation sources?

Attempted work-arounds

1) I tried the obvious -- Copied a working CCES workspace A to A_Copy, switched CCES to the new workspace A-Copy -- however, projects in A do not show up in A_copy automatically (meaning there are hidden files and settings -- as expected)

2) With CCES open at A_Copy, I try to import existing project (inside A_copy) -- and get 'invalid project description.  (Is there a way to import an "unnoticed" project inside a workspace other than the next step.  One thing that works -- Make an empty workspace A_Copy2 and import projects from A_copy -- however the archive approach discussed next is a better way to tackle that

Try a different approach

3) Went back to CCES workspace A and exported the existing project My as an archive. Switch to workspace A_copy, and tried to import archive. (import - general archive)

Error message -- can't import archive unless there is an open project

So I build a dummy project D2, and then import the archive.  The archive ends up inside D2 as subdirectory D2 / My instead of parallel -- not what I wanted or expected to happen  ** CONFUSION IN MENU ITEM SELECTION  BEHAVIOUR ON IMPORT ARCHIVE**

4) By accident, I spotted -- Import | General | Import existing projects into workspace has an option -- Import archive, which did import the archive in the way I expected -- So I can export a complete work-space structure that way

5) The templates (editor and source) and editor preferences did not come over with the project (did not expect them to)

I found one short cut instead of all the ps listed on web-page -- I can export the editor syntax colouring preferences.

I would still like to save my students time (and mine and the TA's) by avoiding having my students to follow the steps  http://www.enel.ucalgary.ca/People/Smith/2013webs/CCES_Common_13/ during their first 3 -hour  laboratory. 

Back to the original question.

I would like to find a way to install CCES as an administrator in such a way that my students (without administrator rights) will find custom editor preferences, editor templates, source templates. related to my course and custom software already available to them. 

What, at my own peril, can I tweak, poke, spindle or otherwise mutilate?

Thanks

Mike

Outcomes